Sunday, April 28, 2013

Fork & Cork!





HORTON CELLARS
1) 2012- Viognier (Spicy Rhone White)- Viognier - $20
My review: Dry white, very refreshing. Not very tart but a crisp finish.
Winery review: Exotic Honey and tropical fruit aromas jump from the glass.
Full-bodied, viscous mouth feel. A classic Condrieu.

2) NV- Sweet Concord (America's Sweet Red)- Concord- $12
 My review: Favorite wine! Sweet and delicious like juice.
Winery Review: Highly aromatic, fruity grapey flavors, sweet crisp finish.  Wine for "Hard Times!"

3)NV- North Ridge (Dry Earthy Red)- Cabernet Franc - $15
My review: It was very hot, and had a balanced finish. Not as dry as I would have expected.
Winery Review: Made from the Portuguese grape Touriga Nacional, this dry red
has earth undertones and a black pepper spice finish.


4) NV- South Ridge (Off-dry Red)- Cabernet Sauvignon -$15
My review: I enjoyed this wine more than the North Ridge, it was sweeter like a white. It smelled like a blend of berries and had an off-dry finish.
Winery review: A sweeter wine made with Touriga Nacional, this wine has
notes of anise, cherry and sweet pepper spice.

5) NV- Raspberry- Cabernet Franc- $12
My review: This wine was delicious! It tasted like a raspberry smoothie, and had a distinct raspberry scent.
Winery review: Raspberry with a small blend of Cabernet Franc

6) NV- Blanco XOCO (White Chocolate Dessert Wine)- Vidal Blanc- $16
My review: Tasted like a tootsie roll. It was sweet but not too sweet and had a syrupy finish.
Winery review: Made with Rkatsiteli, Vidal Blanc & Chocolate essence

7) NV- Rojo XOCO (Red Chocolate Dessert Wine)- Touriga Nacional- $16
My review: This one tasted just like a Hershey's Dark Chocolate kiss. Perfect dessert wine!
Winery review: Made with Touriga Nacional & Chocolate essence

This was a great experience I had with my friends at this wine festival. The lines were a bit long for my liking, but the secret was to buy a bottle with your friends in order to drink during your wait. Definitely made for a more interesting wait. I ended up buying a barbecue pork sandwich to eat with my Sweet Concord Wine, which probably sounds weird but it was a good pairing I think. Maybe I had already drank a bit too much wine but the sweet taste of the Concord balanced the pork barbecue well because they were both sweet and it dulled the salty pork taste.

 Check out this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment